Friday, April 10, 2009

Blending Art and Tradition, Genesee Valley Quilt Club

Here it is completed, I am very happy with the way it turned out.
This is for the Genesee Valley Quilt Club 2009 Challenge. For this challenge you were given a fat quarter of fabric, which is the fabric piece in the hands above. I painted it with Lumiere by Jaguard to add sparkle and free motion quilted it to accent the heart shape.
I then made the hands using InnerFuse and batting. I will paint in some shadows to add depth and they will come out from the border. It is my first three dimensional piece.

This is the picture the piece is based on, my hands handing over the tradition of quilting to my 4-year-old niece, Maya. The background represents traditional quilting and the piece in the hands represents art quilting, which is my chosen form of expression using fabric as paint.

1 comment:

  1. Found your site though Quilting Arts Digest.

    I very much enjoyed looking at your work and reading about your processes.

    ReplyDelete