Saturday, October 8, 2011

52 Journal Pieces, September 2011


On August 27th I turned 39.
As a b-day gift to myself I decided to embark on an artistic journey
to explore what 40 means to me by creating weekly 8” x 10”
art quilts leading up to my 40th b-day.

The journey started with inspiration from The Uncommon Quilter: Small Art Quilts Created With Paper, Plastic, Fiber, and Surface Design book by Jeanne Williamson.

As Jeanne states in her book it, “is not about making a perfectly crafted traditional quilt.
Rather, it is about the process of quilt and art making,
with the added benefit of changing your perspective as an artist.”

I invited other artists to join me on this journey, and 20 artists from around the country accepted the invitation.
We share and encourage each other via a Yahoo group.

The rules are simple:
Pick a size.
No starting over on a piece.
This is about play and experimentation, not aesthetics.
No limits to technique or materials.

Here are my pieces from September:

Journal Piece Week 1
Made from thrift store shirt scraps I cut up in Oct 2010

Journal Piece Week 2 
Inspired by a picture of a painting I liked
Week 2 close up

Journal Piece Week 3
Inspired by a pillow in a Crate & Barrel catalogue

Journal Piece Week 4
Inspired by my feelings to not reproduce

No comments:

Post a Comment