Thursday, September 6, 2012

Journal Pieces 49-52

Wk 49, Abundance
Traditionally, at the beginning of each new year I make a piece based
on a word that I choose as a theme for the year
I decided to make a piece for the new school year, since this is also a new beginning

Wk 50 & 51 Caught in The Net & Our Gift
These two pieces are about education
One hand represents management
The other, teachers
Can you guess which is which?


Wk 52,
The final piece in the 52 Weeks to 40 Series
I started this the last day of Ox Bow, there are 40 warp strings
It is a freestyle woven piece that was fun to work on
late at night as I watched TV
I hand stitched it to black layered fabric and quilted around it
I am quite pleased with how it turned out.

This series has certainly been a challenge. There were definitely weeks that I thought I would never get to making a piece, but always managed to create something. I enjoyed trying new techniques and expressing specific issues that were on my mind. I am proud of the fact that I did it. I completed all 52 pieces. If they were displayed as one piece they would measure 44.5 feet wide by 48.5 feet high.

I am now looking forward to the next challenge, not sure what that is yet,
 but I do hope to create at least one larger piece per month.

1 comment:

  1. Pretty amazing accomplishment, girlie girl! The size of all 50 pieces together - well, I hope you really CAN find a space to show them all. It'll be breathtaking!

    You get a ton done, in your personal art career, especially considering that you teach! AND volunteer for several art groups!

    You rock, sweetie! Love, Lucky

    ReplyDelete